Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Philippine Writer's Block

Posted by yeru On 2:59 AM

The best thing about being an editor is discovering talents. Of course, there is a bigger chance of wasting your time on people who are just trying hard and yet call themselves writer but the moment that you find them, those diamonds in the rough, and help them become better writers - is too much of an honor.

When I was in college, one thing that I always find unfair even at present is how people seem to be fixated with schools. A lot of people think that the school makes and defines the students but I'd like to contradict it. Time and time again, stories after stories, I can say that students make the school. The students bring prestige and honor not the other way around. If students pass the bar exam, it's not because the school took the exam for them but rather, it's because the students studied hard to pass it.

Good writers in the Philippines are barely recognized. For one, to be a recognized writer, you have to have money and should come from a well-known school. Everytime that I come across with a good writer, I come not to pity the writer for not having the chance to showcase his/her talent but I pity the world for not meeting one of the gifted writers it badly need.

The world especially the Philippines is currently experiencing a widespread writer's block. Watching Philippine TV show is like being transported back to the 60s or 70s. I don't mean that as a compliment. You are transported back to the past because it's where the good stories are. TV writers cannot come up with anything new and they end up with recycled materials (like Machete, Mula sa Puso, Mara Clara etc) and borrowing from foreign media (take Lobo and Imortal).

Somewhere out there, I believe are more talented writers waiting to be given a chance to showcase their talents. They wouldn't come from well-known schools and those who will find them, will be lucky enough and for sure, will have fresh materials to present to the public. And God knows how much the Philippine public needs new stories and fresh materials.

On a related note, two of my recent discoveries are budding writers from my old student publication. One calls himself Ryan Adik Na Lambay and the other is Rolyn.

Ryan's writing is sarcastic but it's true and often very humorous. He paints a clear picture of what he wanted to write about. He may need a little tweaking on the logic of his story but once he overcomes it, I believe that he would follow the footsteps of Filipino writers Bob Ong and Eros Atalia. And maybe he'd be a little better.

His short story, Anak ng Teteng!, had me laughing. It was a simple story but the picture was so vivid I can imagine the character like I was with him. Here's an excerpt:





Rolyn on the other has the best ability to create fluent and fluid conversation among her characters as evident on her short story, The Stranger. She also have a beautiful way of presenting her story. Here's an excerpt:


In time, I believe both Ryan and Rolyn will be very good writers. I hope they will be given a chance to develop their talents. But what I hope the most is that they would not forget the reason why they write.

0 comments

Post a Comment